Thursday, August 14, 2014

SOAP-Philippians #2

"Paul's Chains Advance the Gospel"

S

Philippians 1:19
"For I know that through your prayers and the help given by the Spirit of Jesus Christ, what has happened to me will turn out for my deliverance."

O

Paul is writing this letter from prison. Even in that circumstance, he praises God and proclaims that it is going to be used by God for good. Paul's faith helps him to see beyond his immediate circumstance to the future that God has planned for him.
A
When the circumstances of my life are not what I'd like for them to be, when things go wrong, I need to open my eyes to see that God has a plan for it. Instead of complaining or questioning why God is allowing me to go through the pain, I need to praise him because He has a plan and a purpose for everything He allows to happen. The difficulties I go through are for my growth and so that others may be reached with the gospel message. I need to focus my attention on praise rather than worry, fear, and doubt.
Also, Paul mentions that it is through the prayers of the believers he is writing to that this circumstance will be used for his deliverance. This means that, #1, the believers were aware of his need and, #2, that the believers were praying for him. 
I need to let go of my insecurities, pride, and need for control and reach out when I have a need. I need to be humble enough to admit that I am facing a situation I can't control and ask for prayer from other believers around me. I also need to be ready to intercede for those around me with prayer when they are facing difficulties. Both of these things requires that I have a relationship with the people around me and have a connection with them. We were not meant to do this life on our own.

P

Dear Jesus, Forgive me, Lord, for the times I have let my circumstances overwhelm my soul to the point that I have lost sight of you. Even in the last few weeks, I have faced situations that have shaken my faith and made me doubt your love and your plan for me. But, Lord, you have ALWAYS used everything that has happened to me for good. You have shown me in the last week your incredible love for me in ways I couldn't have imagined. Help me to hold onto that when trials come and I feel fear and doubt creeping in. I know that you always have a plan and a purpose for the things I go through. Help me to keep my focus on giving you praise and waiting for your deliverance.
And help me, Lord, to build relationships with the people you place in my life. Help me to love them the way you love them. I need friends who are close enough that I can share my struggles and needs with them so that they can intercede for me in prayer. I want to be there to do the same for them. Thank you for the friendships you have already begun to build in my life.Strengthen the bonds and help us to grow closer through your love for us.
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment