Wednesday, November 6, 2013

Are you Thirsty?

Water. We need it in order to survive. Without water, we become dehydrated, our body doesn't function properly. If we go long enough without it, we will eventually die. It's very important for us to consume a healthy amount of water each day. I know this, but I often find myself in the busyness of my day, forgetting to stop and get a drink. I can go most of the day without ever taking a single sip and a lot of days, it's lunch time or later before I  get around to having a cup of water. But when I finally do, it tastes so good! I refill my cup and have some more. Then, I realize that my body had been asking me for water all day-that little hint of a headache that was lingering in the background, crankiness, lack of concentration-all signs that I needed to stop and rehydrate. My body was thirsty!

In the same way, I often find myself allowing the busyness of life cause me to forget that my spirit needs to be refreshed as well. I get up and get into my day making breakfast, doing laundry, getting kids ready, checking things off my to-do list, and I don't take time to connect with what I need the most-God's love for me. The longer I go without it, the more spiritually dehydrated I become, often without even realizing what's going on. But, oh, when I finally stop and connect with God, through reading a passage in the Bible, listening to a worship song, or spending some time in prayer, I find that it's just what I needed!

My goal is to begin each day getting spiritually "hydrated" for the day with a quiet time. With four children, it doesn't always happen like I'd like it to, but that is my desire. Some days, I write in my journal, some days I work on a my "homework" for my ladies' study group, some days I work on a study I'm doing by myself, and some  days I just sit quietly a let God speak to my heart.

"Thirsty" is a place for me to share some of what I learn during those times with you. I pray that it will be an encouragement to those who read it and that God will use it to speak to your heart.

"O God, You are my God;
Early will I seek You;
My soul thirsts for You;
My flesh longs for You
In a dry and thirsty land
Where there is no water."
Psalm 63:1 NKJV

No comments:

Post a Comment