Tuesday, October 21, 2014

My anchor

According to ijinmarine.net, the purpose of an anchor is "so that the vessel does not drift unnecessarily from its position due to water currents." An anchor is used to attach a boat or a ship to the solid seabed at the bottom so that the boat cannot be moved by what's going on at the surface. So when the winds blow and the waves pound against it, the boat will stay securely in place because it is firmly connected to the unmovable rock below.

I've recently been a little fascinated by anchors. I think it's very cool to think about how a comparatively small anchor can hold on so tightly to the rock that it can keep a boat many times it's size and weight stationary against all the forces that are trying to move it from it's place. So, I did a little research on how an anchor actually works and I came up with some pretty cool facts. Check them out!

*Most importantly, the anchor must reach all the way to the sea floor to work properly. If it doesn't go all the way down to the bottom, the ship will not be secure.

*Once the anchor is at the bottom, the ship moves in reverse to ensure that the anchor digs in to the seabead. This makes sure it is anchored tightly to the bottom.

*If a ship is not properly anchored, it can be dragged by the wind or the currents and be damaged.

*If the storm is especially fierce, the ship can be dragged despite the strong anchor. During times of rough weather, the ship cannot be left unattended.

*Proper care of the anchor and it's ropes or chains attaching it to the boat must be taken. If the anchor is allowed to get rusty or if the ropes are worn, chances of the boat drifting increase.

This reminds me so much of our relationship with God. In Psalm 18, it says that God is our Rock. He is the constant, solid, foundation at the bottom of our "sea" of life. He never moves despite the wind and the waves and the storms of life that come at us. And the only way for us to stand firm in the midst of all that life hits us with is to be anchored to the Rock.

But sometimes, as much as I try to cling to Him and hold myself steady, the storms of my life are just too strong. I have trouble keeping myself anchored and stable. The winds and the waves come against me and try to pull me away from the place God wants me to stay.

But, thank God, I don't have to do it alone! He has given me a second anchor to help me keep my grip on the Rock. To help me hold steady when the storm is raging. The keep me at peace when the world around me is anything but.

This is her.

My friend, Gina, is an amazing woman. If you know her, I don't have to convince you of that, you see it, too. She is the most self-less, compassionate, giving, unconditionally loving person I have ever met. She is my anchor.

Gina has walked with me through some very hard times, some unbearably difficult storms. She has been there when I have felt unloved, unlovable, insecure, afraid, and invisible. She has talked me through disappointments and discouragements that I thought I couldn't bear.

Not only that, but she has been my cheerleader. She has encouraged me to become the person I was created to be. She has celebrated successes with me and helped me see more inside myself than I ever imagined. Gina has helped me to see myself the way that God sees me.

She is my anchor.

The best thing about my friendship with Gina is that it is and always has been centered and anchored in God. We met at church and our friendship grew through a Bible study we attended together. We study the Word together, we lift one another up in prayer, we seek answers in scripture together. The Bible study group that our friendship grew from is now our ministry. We lead it together. We have prayed, fasted, cried, studied, and rejoiced for it. And through it, our friendship has grown deeper...because it is anchored in the Rock. Gina is always there to speak God's truth and love into my heart.

She is my anchor. 
(did I mention that already?)

As a symbol of our friendship and the way we anchor one another in Christ, Gina and I went a couple of weeks again and got matching tattoos...anchors, of course.


I absolutely love them! They represent our friendship so perfectly! It's our story and our testimony right there on our wrists. And they're more than just anchors, way more. But that story is for another post.

Thank you, Gina, for being my anchor! I love you!

Hebrews 6:19
"We have this hope as an anchor for our soul, firm and secure."






No comments:

Post a Comment