Monday, October 13, 2014

Bloom where you're planted

My daughter, Sierra, has a green thumb; something she did not inherit from me. I have one plant that I have been able to keep alive for nearly 5 years, but only because it is one of those almost indestructible and very forgiving plants that just has a very strong will to live.  

Sierra is in charge of caring for all the plants in our house. She waters them each week. She makes sure the dead leaves are removed. She arranges them the way she wants them on the tables. And, under her care, they grow! 

The thing that really amazes me about Sierra's ability to make things grow is that she can get them to grow in unusual places. I've seen her grow things in tin cans and plastic bags (we won't discuss the things that grow under her bed, that's for another post).  Her most recent project was growing beans in an old glass milk bottle. It was pretty cool!

Now, I'm pretty sure that beans weren't naturally designed to grow in old milk bottles in a 10 year-old's bedroom. Bean plants should be outside in a garden, soaking up the rain and dew and sunshine. So, when she first asked me if she could try it, I hesitated. I wasn't sure I wanted to deal with the mess it would make and the disappointment she would have when her little plant didn't grow. But she had her heart set on it, so I gave in.

And, wouldn't you know, the thing grew! It didn't matter if it wasn't the "proper" place for that little seed to grow. When Sierra provided everything the seed needed-water, soil, sunlight-it grew! Right where it was! Not only did it grow a long, beautiful vine, it also grew a little seed pod with new beans inside!!!

The believers in the book of Acts were like that. Acts 8:4 says

"Those who had been scattered preached the word wherever they went."

These believers were being persecuted and scattered from their homes. They left all that was familiar and comfortable and were placed in a new, scary situation. And yet, they chose to do what they were made to do-tell others about the love of Jesus. 

I need to remember this. Even when my circumstances aren't ideal-money is tight, my plans get changed, people don't behave the way I wish they would-God has given me everything I need to thrive. He has planted me there for a purpose and even through it's not what I would choose, He wants me to grow and to do what I was created to do, to "bloom where I'm planted."

So, that's my challenge. Even when things aren't going my way or aren't turning out the way I planned. Even when my circumstances are unfamiliar and scary, I need to look for the opportunity God has placed before me to do what He made me to do-share His love with those around me. He has given me everything I need.

 




No comments:

Post a Comment