Wednesday, August 20, 2014

SOAP-Philippians #8

"Exhortations"

S

Philippians 4:8
Finally, brothers and sisters, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things.

O

Paul encourages us to keep our mind on positive things, to think about things that are going to build us up and lift our spirits.

A

  We are constantly bombarded by negative images, words, and thoughts. It's easy to fill our mind with things that bring us down and take our thoughts off God's goodness and love for us. If you turn on the television or radio, log onto social media, or read a newspaper or magazine, it doesn't take long before news of a tragedy or crime is front and center. We hear about wars, murders, famines, disasters, child abuse, celebrities making bad choices, and on and on. If we're not careful, these things take over our thoughts and consume us. When this happens, we tend to think the worst about the people around us and the situations we face.
When I put my attention on negatives, I think negatively. It starts with reading an article online about some tragic happening, a missing child maybe. That leads me to think about what I would do if my child was missing. How I would feel. That produces fear and worry. Then I send my kids out to play and they don't come immediately when I call them. This causes a moment of panic when that story flashes back into my mind. In an instant, all sorts of terrible happenings race through my brain. And even when I see my child coming and realize they are just fine, the worry and fear nag at the back of my mind, stealing the joy of being with my children because all I can think about is losing them. This is not how God intended for us to feel.
The opposite is also true. When I put my mind on positive things- things that are true, noble, right, pure, lovely, admirable, excellent, and praiseworthy-I think positive thoughts. When I spend time reading the Bible, praying, sharing what I've learned with others, reading uplifting stories, and listening to encouraging music, I see the world differently. Instead of fear and worry, my thoughts are filled with joy and peace. I can see God's goodness and mercy all around me, even when things aren't going my way. Because I know that in all circumstances, God is still good, I can see hope even when things are not good. And then, I can pass that hope on to others who need it.
So today, I choose to fill my mind with good things. I will listen to things that build me up. I will read things that are encouraging. I will speak words that bring hope. I will think about things that are true, lovely, and praiseworthy. Because God is good, all the time!  

P

Dear Jesus, there are so many negative things in my world that pull for my attention. When I'm not careful, my thoughts become consumed with them and my mind is filled with fear and worry. In your word, it says that you have not given me a spirit of fear, so I know these thoughts of not from you. Forgive me, Lord, for giving in to the negative and allowing it to steal the joy you have brought to my life. Help me, today, to place my thoughts on you, to choose to intentionally look at, listen to, and speak things that are good. Thank you for helping me to drown out the negative and hear you speak to me above all the noise. You are good, all the time!
Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment