Tuesday, August 26, 2014

New shoes...

A couple of weeks ago, my son, Landon, got a new pair of shoes. For several weeks, he had been wanting a pair of high tops because he saw other boys with them and thought they were cool. I had just bought him a new pair of tennis shoes, so I told him he was going to have to wait until he needed new shoes. But, he knew who to turn to for help-grandma. So they went out shopping and found him an awesome pair of high tops that he loved. 

A few days later, we were getting ready to leave the house. Landon sat down to put his shoes new shoes on. I watched him try to slip his foot in, but it wouldn't go on. So, he loosened up the top laces a bit and tried again. It still wouldn't go on.

I said, "Son, do you need some help?"

"No, I can do it," and he loosened the top laces until they were almost completely out of the holes and tried again. Still wouldn't go on.

"Do you want me to do that?" I asked again.

"No." was still his response as he pulled and tugged and pushed trying to get his foot inside his shoe. Nothing he did was working. Finally, in frustration, Landon threw his shoe across the room. "I HATE these shoes!" And stormed off to get another pair.

When he came back, I asked him to bring me the high tops. I then showed him how to loosen the lower laces, the ones that were making the shoes too tight for his foot to go in. The shoe slipped right on...

I was looking over my notes this morning from my study of Acts when I remembered that story.

Acts 2:21
And everyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved."

I love that this verse doesn't say "those who call on the name of the Lord AND who live perfect lives..." I love that it doesn't say "those who call on the name of the Lord AND don't have a past..." And it doesn't say "those who call on the name of the Lord AND memorize the entire Bible in two translations..." 

It simply says ALL who CALL on the name of the Lord will be saved. We don't have to look a certain way, act a certain way, or do anything else to be saved. God's salvation and freedom are offered freely to anyone who ask for it.

This passage is speaking of salvation from our sins, but I also think it is speaking of other situations in our lives. So many times, we try to handle things on our own when Jesus is there offering to take care of it for us, if we will only ask. 

Just like Landon with his shoes. I was standing right there offering to help. I had the answers. I knew how to fix his problem. But he insisted on doing it on his own. The more he tried the more he failed and the more frustrated he became. Had he just humbled himself enough to ask, I could have fixed the problem and we could have been on our way. 

Is there an issue that you're facing today that you can't fix? Call on the name of the Lord. Ask Him to help you and then step back and allow Him to take control of the situation. He will take care of everything!




No comments:

Post a Comment