Monday, August 25, 2014

I can't...

I am blessed to be the mother of four amazing kids. I have three girls and one boy, ages 9-16. Lately, I've been reflecting a lot on how much they have grown and how much they can do for themselves. They don't need me as much as they used to. 

My 16 year old is now a junior in high school. In only two short years, she will be leaving home and heading off to college. She will be responsible for doing her own laundry, cooking her own meals, paying her own bills, and taking care of her own needs. 

But not yet. She's not ready.

As her mother, I can see this milestone coming up for her. I have wisdom and experience she doesn't have to know the things that are going to be required of her when she leaves home. I can see where she is now in her abilities and where she needs to be before she's ready to go into the world, and I am working now to prepare her for it.

I would not just open the door and send her on her way today. I know that she can't make it on her own. She needs my guidance and teaching to equip her for what's to come. I have to teach her to use the washing machine. I have to teach her how to read recipes and how to choose good food. I have to teach her budgeting and saving and spending. I am going to give her the skills she needs to be able to succeed.

I was reminded of this when I read Acts 2:4
 All of them were filled with the Holy Spirit and began to speak in other tongues as the Spirit enabled them.

There are situations and seasons of my life that God asks me to walk through that seem impossible to me. Things I can't do on my own. There are times when I know God is asking me to do something, but all I think is "I can't."
But in this verse, the people were not speaking in other tongues because of their abilities. It was impossible for them. The reason it says they were able to do it is because "the Spirit enabled them." 

So, when I am faced with something I can't do. I can rest assured that when I can't do, God CAN. And if He asks me to do it, He will enable me and equip me with everything I need to do the impossible. 

What are the things God is asking you to do that you're saying "I can't" about? Is he asking you to
-start a Bible study group at your church or work?
-invite a friend or co-worker to church on Sunday?
-write a book?
-share your story with people around you?
-coach your child's team or volunteer in their classroom?
-change jobs or careers?
-invite someone over to your house for a meal?

Step out in faith and give it a try. If God has called you to do it, He will make it happen. When you can't, HE can!

No comments:

Post a Comment