Wednesday, August 13, 2014

SOAP-Philippians #1

So, here's how this is going to work. I'm going to go through the book of Philippians, and do one post per day. Each post won't necessarily cover an entire chapter. Instead, I'm going to go from "headline to headline", or topic by topic. So, most chapters will actually span two or more days. 
For today, I'm going to lump the greeting part of the book in with the first headline. 

Ready? Let's go!

"Thanksgiving and Prayer"

S
(Scripture)

Philippians 1:6
"Being confident of this, that He who began a good work in you will carry it on to completion until the day of Christ Jesus."

O
(observation)

Paul is encouraging the Christians at Philippi to continue doing the work that God has called them to do.

A
(application)
 
Sometimes doing what God has called us to do is hard. We get discouraged and we doubt that we will be able to finish it. In those times, we need encouragement from those around us to help us keep going. I need to pay attention to those around me and notice when they are going through a hard time. I need to notice when those around me are struggling and I need to be ready to step in with a kind word to help them keep pushing. I need to be ready to remind them that God will get them through to the end.

P
(prayer)

Dear Jesus, thank you for always being with me. You never ask me to do anything that you aren't right there beside me the whole time. But sometimes, I get discouraged and wonder whether I can go on. Lord, you always send someone with a kind word of encouragement when I need it most. Help me to be that person for those around me. Help me to pay attention to what the people around me are going through so that I can offer them encouragement and remind them that you are with them. Amen.

And there you have it. I'd love to hear what you thought of this passage! Leave your insights in the comments below.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment