Monday, August 18, 2014

SOAP-Philippians #6

"No confidence in the flesh"

S

Philippians 3:9
and be found in him, not having righteousness of my own that comes from the law, but that which is through faith in Christ-the righteousness that comes from God and is by faith.

 O

Paul spends the first few verses of this chapter recounting all the reasons he could choose to brag on his righteousness through the law. He was circumcised on the 8th day, he is an Israelite of the tribe of Benjamin, and Pharisee, a persecutor of the church, faultless under the law. But then he turns the tables and proclaims it all garbage. He knows that righteousness through works under the law is not enough. Our righteousness comes only through faith in Jesus Christ.

A

So many times in my life, I have tried to earn God's love and acceptance through being "good" or doing "good deeds". I try to follow all the rules to live the way I think I am supposed to so that God will love me. My goal is to earn God's acceptance. But I don't have to do that.
God's love and acceptance of me are not based on what I do. God loves me because of who I am. He created me. He loves me. He accepts me. He wants me to be with Him forever. And He showed it by sending His son, Jesus, to die for my sins and to rise again to bring me new life. Jesus already did everything that was required for me to be accepted. All I have to do is believe. My righteousness comes from who Jesus is and what He did, not from anything that I will ever do.

P

Dear Jesus, Thank you, Lord, for your sacrifice for me on the cross and for the new life you give me through your resurrection. Thank you that I don't have to do anything or be anything to earn your love. My righteousness comes from faith in you alone. Help me, Lord, to remember that when you said "It is finished," you completed the work to be done for my salvation. Thank you for the freedom that comes from being able to serve you out of the love in my heart rather than out of obligation. I place my faith in you and what you have done for me and I choose to bring you honor by serving you and following your commands.
In Your name I pray, Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment