Sunday, August 17, 2014

SOAP-Philippians #5

"Timothy and Epaphroditus"

S

Philippians 2:24
And I am confident in the Lord, that I myself  will come soon.

O

Paul is writing this letter from prison. He is making plans to send Timothy back to the church, even though that doesn't seem likely to happen at the moment. He has faith that God will make a way. He even believes that he himself will be released and able to return to them soon. His faith isn't dependent on his circumstances.

A

I need to always be looking beyond my immediate circumstances to what God has planned for me in the future. Too many times when I encounter a difficult situation, I throw up my hands and think "this is the end. It's never going to get any better." But Paul was in a much more desperate situation than I have ever faced and he held on to his faith. He didn't just curl up in the prison and die, he looked ahead and believed that God had something great planned for him. Not only that, but while he was still in prison, he spent his time encouraging others. Paul had confidence that God would deliver him from his situation. I need to focus on what God can do, not where I am.

P

Dear God, When I face difficulties in my life, I tend to give up and lose hope. I forget all the things that you have brought me through and all the promises that you have made about my future. All I see is the immediate. Help me, Lord, to learn to see beyond right now. When things go wrong, I want to hold onto my faith that you have a plan and a future for me. I want to see beyond myself to the needs of others and be an encouragement to them, no matter what I'm going through. Thank you, Lord, that there is always hope in you. Because you sent Jesus to die on the cross and rise again for me, I can have hope that things will always get better.
In Jesus' Name, Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment