Friday, August 29, 2014

Give them a hand.

The next two sections of the book of Acts really spoke to my heart. I'd like to share my SOAP from when I read through these without adding anything to it. Hope this speaks to your heart as much as it did mine.

S

Now a man who was lame from birth was being carried to the temple gate called Beautiful, where he was put every day to beg from those going into the temple courts. When he saw Peter and John about to enter, he asked them for money. Peter looked straight at him, as did John. Then Peter said, “Look at us!” So the man gave them his attention, expecting to get something from them. Then Peter said, “Silver or gold I do not have, but what I do have I give you. In the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth, walk.” Taking him by the right hand, he helped him up, and instantly the man’s feet and ankles became strong

O

First, Peter and John paid attention to the man. He was put there to beg everyday, so they were used to seeing him. It would have been easy to just walk by. After all, he was just a crippled beggar, not worthy of their time. But, they SAW him. Second, even thought they didn't have money, they stopped to give what they could-God's love. Third, Peter didn't just pray for the man to be healed, he stopped, took him by the hand, and helped him up.

A

I need to take the time to stop and see people I would normally pass over. I need to look at them the way God looks at them and have compassion on them. I need to stop worrying about what I can't give them and focus on what I can. God has asked me to share His love. I need to love people, not just praying for them or telling them about Jesus, but in a practical way. I need to reach out, take them by the hand, and help them up.

P

Dear Jesus, Thank you, Lord, for the way you are speaking to me through this study. I love the way you are bringing these verses to my attention and showing me so much more than just what the verse says. Every word written in scripture is there for a purpose, to tell us about you.
Lord, give me the eyes to see people the way you see them. Too often, I judge by outward appearance or by circumstance and don't see people for what they really are-your masterpiece. Help me to look beyond the surface level and see the soul that lies underneath and who needs You above everything else. Help me to find ways to help people in practical ways so they can come to know you and your amazing love. In Your Name I pray, Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment