Saturday, August 16, 2014

SOAP-Philippians #4

"Shining as Stars"

S

Philippians 2:14-15
Do everything without complaining or arguing, so that you may become blameless and pure, children of God without fault in a crooked and depraved generation, in which you shine like stars in the universe.

O

Throughout the Bible, God calls believers to be different from the world, those who don't believe. He wants our lives to be an example to those around us of His love for them so that they can see through us their need for Him. One way to do this is to do everything with a smile on your face and a willing attitude. When you do everything you're asked to do with a happy heart, people will notice!

A

I have this verse hanging in my kitchen above the place where I keep our school calendar. I have quoted it many times to my kids when they don't want to do what I ask them to do. But the verse isn't just speaking to my kids, it's speaking to ME.
As a mom, I have the job of  doing the cooking, cleaning, laundry, driving kids around, and all the other "mom" things that we all do. And after the 10th time of picking up the same pair of shoes from the kitchen floor, my attitude often isn't what it should be. I grumble at my kids about them not appreciating me. I complain to my husband about having to do it all. I vent to my friend about how they're driving me crazy.
But God doesn't ask me to do the fun stuff without complaining or arguing. He doesn't ask me to do things with a happy heart only the first time. He doesn't ask me to have a pleasant attitude when things are going well for me. He says to do EVERYTHING without complaining or arguing. That means even the things I don't want to do, like scrubbing the bathroom. That means even the times when I have to do something that "isn't my job." That means even when no one sees or appreciates or praises me for what I'm doing. EVERYTHING.
And He gives me a great reason to choose to have a good attitude. He says when I choose to do everything with a happy heart, I will shine like a star in this world. People will notice when I do things that others would complain about and do it with a smile. They will notice when I give freely of my time, money, and energy to things that are "not my job". People will notice when I work to cooperate and get along with those around me. My good attitude about the things I do will help me show the love of Christ to those in the world around me.

P

Dear Jesus, How often I forget that this verse is speaking to ME. You have called me to be a light in this world and my attitude is one of the things that will shine the brightest if I choose it wisely. Forgive me for the times when I do the things you ask me with a grumbling heart, complaining that it's not my job or that no one appreciates me. Help me to remember that by having a happy heart I am showing your love to a world that desperately needs you. I want to shine like a star and use my light to point people to you.
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment