Monday, September 29, 2014

Words

If you've been reading my blog very long, you already know that I am on a mission to read the entire Bible for the first time in my life. As I read more, I am continuously amazed. The stories I've heard since I was a child suddenly come to life for me and speak to me in a way they never have before. And there are so many things that I've never read or heard before! I  love it!

One of those stories that came to life for me was the story of Stephen in Acts. I have heard mention so many times of Stephen being a martyr, of Stephen being stoned. But I had never really heard the story in detail. It's an amazing story!

In my Bible, the story of the stoning of Stephen is divided into three sections-"Stephen Seized", "Stephen's Speech to the Sanhedrin", and "The Stoning of Stephen". As I read this story, there was something from each section that spoke to my heart that I would like to share with you. So, we'll divide his story into three posts.

Ready? Go!

Acts 6:8-15 is the story of Stephen being seized. 
Now Stephen, a man full of God’s grace and power, performed great wonders and signs among the people. Opposition arose, however, from members of the Synagogue of the Freedmen (as it was called)—Jews of Cyrene and Alexandria as well as the provinces of Cilicia and Asia—who began to argue with Stephen. 10 But they could not stand up against the wisdom the Spirit gave him as he spoke.
11 Then they secretly persuaded some men to say, “We have heard Stephen speak blasphemous words against Moses and against God.”
12 So they stirred up the people and the elders and the teachers of the law. They seized Stephen and brought him before the Sanhedrin. 13 They produced false witnesses, who testified, “This fellow never stops speaking against this holy place and against the law. 14 For we have heard him say that this Jesus of Nazareth will destroy this place and change the customs Moses handed down to us.”
15 All who were sitting in the Sanhedrin looked intently at Stephen, and they saw that his face was like the face of an angel.

 Two things about that really stick out to me. First off, it says Stephen was " a man full of God's grace and power," and then it says, "But they couldn't stand up against the wisdom the Spirit gave him as he spoke." Wow! Stephen was so filled with God's Spirit that his words were words of wisdom that no one could fault. I want to be like that!

God has given me the gift of words. I love the written word, the spoken word, song lyrics, poetry, anything with words. Words are so powerful! Words have ability to build someone up or to instantly tear them down. Words in songs and poetry can speak to someone in a way that pierces their defensive walls and goes straight to the heart. Written words are especially powerful for me. Something about seeing the words on the page or on the screen helps me to take it in and hold onto it in a way that just hearing it doesn't. Guess that's why I like to write so much.

But even knowing this love of words was a gift from God, I chose to sit on it for a long time. I have always been afraid to share what I write with other people. Having people read what I had written, even in a card or letter, was so scary to me. I was scared people would somehow make fun of it or point out the flaws in it to me. And especially when it came to writing about Spiritual things. What if I told someone wrong? What if I misquoted or misunderstood what the Bible said? What if I totally messed up the meaning of something?

But I have come to realize something. By MY power, my words mean nothing. Even through my best effort, my words are flawed and meaningless. I try to speak words of wisdom and advice to people by my strength and I fall short every time.

But when I first come to God and ask Him to speak through me, my words can be powerful. My words can be full of wisdom and hope. They can be words of healing and encouragement. They can be words of enlightenment and understanding. But they're not really my words at all. When I come to God and ask Him to speak through me, He does, and the words are His.

So, my aim is to be like Stephen. To be filled be filled with God's grace and power and to speak the words the Spirit gives me. And I know God will bless it and use it to speak to someone else. 

Heavenly Father,
Thank you for this love of words that you have placed in my soul. It is a gift from you and I want to use it to bring you honor and glory. I ask that the words I write and the words I speak not be mine, Lord, but yours. Help me to be filled with your power and your grace so that your words of wisdom flow out of me. Bless those who read my words. Speak through me into their hearts. I praise you for the way you are using the gift you placed in me to reach other people You are an amazing, wonderful God!
In Jesus' Name, Amen



No comments:

Post a Comment