Wednesday, September 17, 2014

Jump in!

I know summer is almost over, but today is a nice, warm day and it had me thinking about swimming. I'm not a huge fan of the pool, but once in a while, it's fun to just get in a cool off for a bit. There's just something about being in the water that relaxes me and takes my mind off whatever stress is happening in my life, even if just for a moment.

I wish we had a pool at home. I would love to be able to go out whenever I wanted and go for a little swim. Or, even better, to send the kids out for a swim when I need a quiet minute in the house. But, pools are a lot of work and I'm just not ready to commit to that time investment right now. So, for now, when we want to swim, we head to the public pool. Not my favorite, but it works.

One of the things I DO like about going to the public pool is that there are always interesting people there. Am I the only one who likes to people watch? You can learn a lot by watching people and the way they interact. 

At the pool, almost always, you can count on seeing a little one standing on the edge, wearing his sweet little floaties, and being coaxed by his mommy or daddy to jump off the edge into the arms waiting to catch him. I love watching this! Especially when it's a little one jumping into the arms of his or her daddy. Melts my heart every time.
 

Some kids are just naturally brave and trusting. They know their daddy is going to catch them and they jump right in. Sometimes they jump without even having to be encouraged. Maybe they even back up and get a running start. They come in with a big smile on their face and jump with all they have. As their daddy catches them, he gently lets them go under for a split second before he pulls them back up and holds them close again. They love it! They get to feel the cool, refreshing water wash over them, but they still know they're safe in their father's arms. Almost as soon as they hit the water, they're right back out, ready to do it all over again.

Some kids are little less sure. They stand on the edge, looking at the water and looking at their dad. He stands with outstretched arms and a smile, encouraging them to just jump and let him prove that he'll be there to catch them. Still, they hesitate. But eventually, the trust they have in their daddy and their desire for the cool water win out over their fear and they jump. When these kids jump, the dads very rarely let them go under. More likely, as they jump, he moves a tiny bit closer so that the child jumps directly into his arms and is held close. Even though they are in the water, they are held tight by their father. And after a little while, they have the courage to climb out of the pool and do it again. Probably with a little less hesitation this time.

Sadly, there are some kids that never do give in. They stand on the edge of the pool wanting to jump so badly. They long to feel the cool water and be held tight by their father, but they're afraid. What if He doesn't catch them this time? What if they go under? The longer they stand there, the louder the fear speaks to their minds, paralyzing them and keeping them on the edge. Their father stands in the water, waiting, with open arms, ready for his child to come to him. He speaks encouragement to try and help overcome the fear. He inches closer to the edge, closing the gap between his child and himself. As much as he wants to, he won't reach out and make his child jump. He knows that it must be the child's choice. So he waits. And the child walks away. The fear is stronger than their faith. They sit there in the heat of the sun, wishing they could be in the cool water, but willing to miss out because what they know is more comfortable than the 'what if'.

I've been that child for a very long time. I've always known that God was calling me to write, to speak, and to lead. He has put inside me the desire to share His love with the people around me through my words. But I've been afraid. What if I fail? What if I write and pour out my heart and no one reads it? What if I speak and no one listens? 

So I've sat on the edge of the pool, wishing, but never jumping in. 

Until one day, I finally decided that I hated sitting on the outside watching everyone else swim more than I feared what might happen if I jumped in the pool. So, I walked to the edge and saw my Father waiting to catch me, not out in the middle of the pool, but right there at the edge. He knew my fear, and he came to meet me right where I needed Him to be. 

So, I jumped. Immediately, before I even got close to going under, He pulled me in and held me close. I had done it! I jumped and He caught me and I was safe. I stayed there and took in the comfort of being held for a while, and then I heard Him say to me, "That was amazing! Do it again!" 

I found myself back on the edge of the pool with my Father standing there, a little farther away this time, calling me to jump again. Fear tried to creep back in, but this time the memory of the safety I felt in His arms was stronger than the fear. So, I jumped.

I felt the water just touch my feet and then I felt myself pulled in close again. He had caught me again. And my trust in Him grew.

And so it continues. Each time I choose to jump in and do what He's asking of me today, He catches me and my faith in Him grows. Slowly, the fear of jumping becomes less. And slowly, He allows me, little by little, to go a little deeper, to feel His love wash over me more. 

No more sitting on the edge of the pool!

 "But if it is from God, you will not be able to stop these men; you will only find yourselves fighting against God.”

Heavenly Father, 
Thank you for ALWAYS catching me! You never make me jump, but when I choose to release my fear and jump into your arms, you never fail. Your arms always catch me and pull me close to you. Help me to trust that when You ask me to jump, I cannot fail because You are there, waiting for me. Thank you for being my loving Father! Amen

 
 Love this picture! Fits perfectly!


No comments:

Post a Comment