Thursday, September 25, 2014

Waiting on tables

In my house, the kids outnumber the adults, 2 to 1. There are four of them and two of us. The odds are pretty much in their favor. And since I have a husband who works out of town a lot, the odds most days are actually 4 to 1.

Four children in the house makes for lots and lots of messes, cooking, and laundry. My washing machine runs at least 3-4 loads a day and my dishwasher runs twice just to keep up with our needs. There are constantly school books, shoes, toys, electronics, and various other things lying around that need to be picked up to keep our home from becoming a disaster zone.

Add to that all of the other "life" things that have to happen on a daily basis-homeschooling (a job all by itself), driving the kids to and from their activities, church, Bible study, caring for our animals, paying the bills, shopping for groceries, planning the meals-and life can quickly become overwhelming for me. I am only one person and I can only do so much.

That's why, in my house, the children have chores. They are responsible for a big part of the cooking, cleaning, and animal care. They help do the laundry and clean the van. They dust and vacuum and do the dishes. And it is a tremendous help to me.

Because they take care of those kinds of chores that pretty much anyone can do, my time is freed up to spend on the things that only I can do.

Only I can drive them places they need to go (for a few more months anyway). Only I can plan our homeschool lessons and calendar to keep us on track. Only I can do the bills and the shopping. Only I can fill my spot as a Children's Ministry volunteer at church. Only I can write this blog.

I let the kids do what anyone can do, so I can focus on what only I can do.

There's a story in Acts that speaks to this idea within the early church. Acts 6:1-7 says

" In those days when the number of disciples was increasing, the Hellenistic Jews[a] among them complained against the Hebraic Jews because their widows were being overlooked in the daily distribution of food. So the Twelve gathered all the disciples together and said, “It would not be right for us to neglect the ministry of the word of God in order to wait on tables. Brothers and sisters, choose seven men from among you who are known to be full of the Spirit and wisdom. We will turn this responsibility over to them and will give our attention to prayer and the ministry of the word.”
This proposal pleased the whole group. They chose Stephen, a man full of faith and of the Holy Spirit; also Philip, Procorus, Nicanor, Timon, Parmenas, and Nicolas from Antioch, a convert to Judaism. They presented these men to the apostles, who prayed and laid their hands on them.
So the word of God spread. The number of disciples in Jerusalem increased rapidly, and a large number of priests became obedient to the faith."

When I read this passage, I can't help but think of the Pastors and staff at my church. God has called them to be the leaders of our congregation. With that comes huge responsibility for things only they can do. Only they can oversee the day-to-day operations of the church. Only they can prepare and share the messages that God places in their hearts for our adults, youth, and children's services. Only the Pastors can counsel people who need God's love and wisdom in their lives. Only the Pastors can be, well, Pastors.

That's why volunteers in the church are so important.
 I haven't been called or equipped to preach a sermon to the congregation on Sunday morning. But, I am able to sit next to a child in our 1-4 grade class and help them focus on the lesson.

 I can't lead the worship service or play an instrument, but I can help prepare snacks for the little ones.

I can't teach a men's Bible study on Wednesday evenings, but I can help set up the chairs.

I can't spend my days in the church office counseling people, but I can greet people at the doors before service and make them feel at home in our church. 

I can't prepare and teach the service in the Children's Ministry class, but I can help prepare the craft or clean up afterward so that the Children's Pastor has time to prepare the message and her heart.

I can do what anyone can do so they can do what only they can do.

Can you imagine what we could accomplish if everyone did this? Our ministries in our churches would be unstoppable! 

Will you join me? What can you volunteer for in your church that will help the Pastors do what only they can do?

Teach a class?

Set up for chairs for a small group?

Cut out pieces for the Children's Ministry craft?

 Serve as a greeter to welcome new guests to your church?

Whatever it is, I challenge you to jump in and do it. You might be surprised at the difference it makes!



No comments:

Post a Comment