Wednesday, September 24, 2014

The Rock

Have you ever had one of those days where just about everything seems to be going wrong? Maybe nothing especially catastrophic, but just tons and tons of little things all at once, that all add up to be one giant bad day? Oh my goodness, I have lived there this week! I can't remember a week (except maybe the week my dad passed away) so full of intense emotion and ups and downs. Like a roller coaster. There have been moments of intense joy and moments of fear and sadness. It's definitely been crazy.

Yesterday was the climax of it all. Every time I turned around, there was some little something that didn't work the way I needed it to or didn't happen the way I planned. Things broke, I forgot things, I did things I didn't mean to do. I spent a lot of time on some things I hadn't planned to be doing and ran out of time for the things I really needed to do. 

For a control-freak like me, it was the recipe for disaster. 

But yesterday was different. 
Yesterday afternoon, I had a chance to spend some time with a friend. As we were talking about the events of my day, she said, "I'm proud to see that you're still smiling." I hadn't really thought about it much until then, but I was still smiling. Even with a broken, leaky washing machine and a repair bill I didn't expect. Even with a flat tire. Even with a phone call about lab results from the doctor that weren't what I wanted to hear. Even with technology that didn't work the way I wanted. Even when I spent two hours working on a Bible study only to find out I'd been in the wrong book the whole time. And even when I had so many interruptions to my morning that I didn't get to do one bit of schoolwork with my kids.

I was smiling. 

I was supposed to study 1 Corinthians 7 yesterday morning. But instead, somehow I ended up in Matthew 7. I did the first 3 1/2 sections before I realized what I had done. So, I went back and did the right section and decided to leave the rest of Matthew 7 for today. And this morning, as I was finishing up the last part of Matthew 7, I found the reason I could have such a crummy day and still come out smiling at the end.
Matthew 7:25 says, 
 "The rain came down, the streams rose, and the winds blew and beat against that house; yet it did not fall, because it had its foundation on the rock."

I have learned that no matter what happens to me, my foundation is on Jesus. So, even when things go wrong and life is out of my control, I can stand. He will not let me fall!


No comments:

Post a Comment