Thursday, September 4, 2014

Shaken

Have you ever heard the saying, "Be careful what you wish for?" It's a common theme in fairy tales and movies. Sometimes if we actually got the things we wished for, we would quickly decide it wasn't what we really wanted after all. 

Like in the story of Aladdin. Aladdin has the opportunity to ask the Genie for whatever he wants. What he wants is to marry the princess. Since he can't wish for the princess to fall in love with him and because she has to marry a prince, Aladdin wishes for the Genie to turn him into a prince. Aladdin gets his wish, but with it comes a lot of trouble, almost costing him and the princess their lives. His wish didn't turn out quite the way he planned.

Or, in the story of Pinocchio. Gepetto longs to have a son. His wish is granted when the puppet Pinocchio comes to life. But Pinocchio gets himself in trouble and Gepetto ends up being swallowed by a whale. When Pinocchio comes to save Gepetto from the whale, he drowns. The son Gepetto wanted ends up giving his life to save his father.

Wow. That makes me think a little more carefully about what I wish for, and consequently, what I ask God for. In the end, Aladdin does marry Princess Jasmine and Pinocchio does become a real boy. They all live happily ever after. But getting to the end was hard work.

Now, I know that God is not a genie or the blue fairy who grants my wishes for whatever impulse pops into my head. He's not going to zap me with a million dollars falling from the sky or turn me into some sort of supermodel. I don't get to have everything I want. It doesn't work like that. 

But, God does tell us to ask for the things we need and for the desires of our hearts and He will give them to us. He promises to not only take care of our needs, but to also give us "good gifts" as well. He wants to bless us with the things our hearts desire.

But often, I don't ask.  Not because I don't believe God will do it or that God is able to do it. I don't ask because I'm afraid of what will be required of me to receive it.

I want to ask God to heal me of my health issues, but I don't ask because I know that some of them are caused by my unhealthy lifestyle and I will be required to change.

I want to ask God to help me accomplish more during my day, but I don't ask because I know that I will have to give up some time on social media to make time for other things.

I want to ask God to bring me friends, but I don't ask because I will have to get out of my comfort zone and meet new people.

When God gives me the things I wish for, my life will be shaken. My comfort zone will be taken away and change will come. 

Acts 4:31 says,
"After they prayed, the place where they were meeting was shaken. And they were all filled with the Holy Spirit and spoke the word of God boldly."

God has so many wonderful things for me, but He waits for me to ask for them. If I am too afraid of being shaken, I will miss out on some awesome blessings He wants to give me.
Making healthy choices and losing weight will be hard, but it will be so awesome when I no longer have to take medications and struggle with my health issues anymore!

Changing my social media habits will mean I have less down time, but it will feel so nice when my house is cleaned and I see all the things I have checked off my to-do list!

Putting myself out there and chancing rejection from someone I want to befriend is scary, but having someone to turn to when I need support or a laugh will make my life so much richer!

As scary as it is, I'm ready. I want to pray and allow God to shake me and take me to the place He wants me to be. I know that the path to get there may be difficult. I may be required to make changes or give up some things I'm comfortable with, but I know it will be worth it in the end.

 
Dear Jesus, Thank you for all the blessings I know you have in store for me if I will only ask. Fear has kept me from them for too long. I lay down my fear of the unknown, my need for control, and my comfort and ask that you shake me and take me to a new place in you. I am ready to see you move in my life like never before. Amen.



No comments:

Post a Comment