Friday, November 7, 2014

A Whole New World


I love Disney princess movies. I grew up watching sweet movies like Beauty and the Beast, The Little Mermaid, and Aladdin. I think my favorite part of any princess movie has to be the music. Even as an adult, I have been known to randomly burst into a Disney song when the mood hits. I love it! As I type this post, I am listening to Disney Radio on Pandora.
 
I love the song "A Whole New World" from the movie Aladdin. Just before the song begins, Aladdin, disguised as Prince Ali, flies up on his magic carpet to the balcony where Princess Jasmine is standing with her pet Tiger (how cool would it be to have a pet tiger?!) He asks her if she'd like to go for a ride on his magic carpet. She asks him, "Is it safe?"
Aladdin reaches down his hand to Jasmine and replies, "Sure. Do you trust me?" At that moment, Jasmine recognizes Aladdin for who he really is, although she doesn't reveal it just yet. So, she agrees to go on a magic carpet ride with him.
 
Through the song, Aladdin and Jasmine fly through the sky over the city and have an amazing adventure. They soar through clouds and up to the stars. They fly with birds and among a herd of running horses as the song sweetly tells of how Aladdin can open her eyes to a whole new world she's never known before.
 
But, what if she hadn't recognized him? Would she have trusted him and gone off on a magic carpet ride with him? I don't know how the story would have turned out if Jasmine hadn't known who Aladdin was, but I'm pretty sure she would have missed out on that amazing adventure through the clouds.
 
Over the past few days, I've noticed a theme that keeps popping up in the scriptures I'm studying and the books I'm reading, things I've been seeing on social media, and conversations I've been having with friends. Even my own blog posts this week have had a common topic-GO. And not just to go, but to go without knowing where the path is leading.
 
I know that God is asking to me step out and do some things that take me out of my comfort zone. I can see on the horizon opportunities that He is placing before me to step into the calling and the purpose He has planned for me. But I hesitate. I hold back because I can't see where it's going to lead. I can see the next steps, but I can't see the end of road.
 
But, I know He's standing there, like Aladdin on his magic carpet, holding out his hand and asking me, "Do you trust me?" He's waiting for me to recognize Him for who He is, take his hand, a let Him take me on an adventure. All I have to do is say yes.
 
There's a story in Acts of someone God called to "go" without revealing where the path was going to lead. Acts chapter 9 tells the story of Saul's conversion. Read it, it's a cool story.
The verse that stands out to me as I think about being called to go is Acts 9:6. It says,
"Now get up and go into the city and you will be told what you must do."
 
God didn't give Saul/Paul an itinerary for the way his life was going to change and the journey he was  going to be on for the rest of his life. He didn't sit Saul down and tell him the game plan before he put him into the game. Saul was told to "go" first and then he would be told what to do. He did and he was.

Heavenly Father,
Help me, Lord, to be willing to get up and go when you call me. Forgive me for the times I have hesitated and held back out of my desire to be in control. I want to trust you to lead me even when I can't see where the path is leading. Show me the next step to take and give the courage to take it. I know you will not let me fall!
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment